November 10, 2006

a hole in my seminary education

As I prepare to schedule my final semester at VTS, I've had to come to terms with some things. First, I cannot take everything I want to take before I leave seminary. Second, being done with requirements in 2.5 years, doesn't mean 4 years at seminary isn't worth while. And, thirdly, I have some holes.

The readings for Proper 28 have opened my eyes to a huge hole in my seminary education, eschatology, or the END TIMES. For many, these words bring forth images of Kirk Cameron in Left Behind, but for me, it just inflicts fear. Reading the parallels between Daniel's Apocalypse and Mark's Gospel had led me to understand that I will, no doubt, have to preach on the End Times. Hell, Advent will force it if nothing else. But I have not, and will not take Kate's Last Things course (it doesn't fit). As far as I remember the discussion of eschatology in New Testament was something like, "has anyone heard a sermon on Revelation?". We must of talked about Daniel in Old Testament, but honestly, I don't remember. So I'm stuck here, trying to come up with a sermon for next Sunday with nothing in my toolbox.

What I can glean from Daniel and Mark are but a few points.
+ There will be suffering unimaginable.
+ There will be some saved and some who choose otherwise
+ There will be false prophets and false messiahs
+ It will not be fun
+ God will redeem

So I guess I'm back to my point from Tuesday, to fall into the hands of the living God is truly a fearful thing, both now, as we live a life moving toward holiness, and in the age to come as we witness the final victory of God and the creation of a new heaven and a new earth.

4 comments:

Eliz F said...

Perhaps your point that "it will not be fun" should be your thesis statement? Remember as per Judith to repeat it many times.

Were you able to get a copy of Dr. Cook's book?

spankey said...

thanks for reminding me of my homiletical mother ;-) I thought I had Stephen's book, but scanning my shelf I don't see it. I'll hae to look harder.

Please send me your sermon when you're done (if you write them), I'd love to see what you end up with.

kgj said...

I too groused about the lessons of proper 28b. So while wrestling I googled 28b and came across your blog.
I encourage you.
I belong to a small, actually tiny, Episcopal parish in northern Minnesota. If you’ve listened to Garrison Keillor of Prairie Home Companion fame you know I live in the realm of mega Lutheran and Roman Catholic. Officially I am a licensed lay preacher – former Roman clergy - who delivers a homily about once a month.
I too am wrestling with Daniel et al this week(although wisely – you wrestled a week earlier.)
I will need my Blogger id to post this comment so I’ll park my results so far there. Twenty-four hours usually bring changes.
I don’t do much with Blogger (I experiment with lots of things) and spend more of my energies at Gather kjackson.gather.com and Flickr flickr.com/photos/cageyj/

Peace from Minnesota

spankey said...

Ken,

Welcome, I'm glad you had the chance to find me. If you are interested, I am part of a group (though most don't really post anymore) who post on the lectionary daily. I post my reflections both here at bored seminarian and on the group site http://lectionarydiscussion.blogspot.com/

If you'd like, I can send you an invite to join.

in Christ,
Steve