March 20, 2008

Maundy Thursday

I would be remiss if I didn't make note this week of that other, often forgotten, day in Holy Week. Today is Maundy Thursday; a day that gets its name from Jesus' mandate that we "love one another."

From Wikipedia (don't tell my GOE readers): The word Maundy is derived through Middle English, and Old French mandé, from the Latin mandatum, the first word of the phrase "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you"), the statement by Jesus in the Gospel of John (13:34) by which Jesus explained to the Apostles the significance of his action of washing their feet.

Now, to be honest, I, like most Americans, don't like to be told what to do. Mandate, especially post-2004 election makes me uneasy; I voted for him, but seriously 53% is not a mandate. Anyway, for me this is a day chiefly of remembrance. We recall with honor and due reverence the "last supper" during which Jesus gave us a model for ministry; love, serve, fellowship, and eat. In the 2000 years since we have made ministry (and church membership) really hard, but when it comes down to it the kingdom life is 1) loving one another 2) serving one another 3) enjoying one another's company and 4) breaking bread with one another. Note that nothing here is an individual sport - the life of the kingdom is necessary lived in community. It can't be done any other way (see Judas and his unilateralism as an example).

So today I remember Jesus reclining with his friends. In my mind's eye I try to enter that room, hear the sounds, smell the smells, and see all the details. Then, in the context of my faith community, St. Paul's Foley, I will worship God and pledge to live that kingdom life for another year, until again I find myself in the upper room with Jesus.

No comments: