March 21, 2011

spirit and truth

I have probably heard John 4:23 read dozens of times. I have probably read it dozens more, but it wasn't until I arrived in the chapel at Virginia Theological Seminary that I really heard that verse. John 4.23 is one of the selections for the opening sentences in Morning Prayer and when that verse was pulled out, on its own, separate from the larger story of the woman at the well, it really made me wonder.

"The hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him."

What does it mean to worship in spirit and truth? How is what we do on Sunday in spirit and in truth, and how is it not. How is what we do in our daily lives done in spirit and in truth, and how is it not.

John 4.23 gets lost in the midst of everything else going on in the story of the Woman at the Well, but there is so much depth in that one verse. I might just spend the week pondering this verse and nothing else.

No comments: