August 21, 2007

a preaching moment

I got a phone call from a local ELCA pastor last week. "I need a Lectionary study group," he said. That was enough for me. I need one too. Reading and writing is one thing, but sitting down, face-to-face, with others who are struggling with the same texts is quite another. I learned, especially after last week, that wrestling together is the only way to go.

What I found, as our conversation swirled from the text to our lenses to our lives and back was a preaching moment with Lutheran sensibilities. My ELCA friend was struggling with the Hebrews reading, especially the sense in which it is works which bring about the kingdom. My call, in the midst of this, was to the end, "or indeed our God is a consuming fire."

The consuming fire of God exists within all who have received the gift of the Holy Spirit. In my theology that means, all Christians have received the gift, but not all who have received the gift are Christians (yet). That fire is working toward our sanctification. My job is to stop trying to put it out. So often, in a bid to keep control of that part of my life, that sin, that I like so much, I pour water on that fire trying to keep it from my golden calf. The call, the preaching moment for me this week is to stop fighting that fire. Lay down the buckets and let the fire do its cleansing work. From the ashes will grow a new and better forest, a new and better temple for our God.

1 comment:

Eliz F said...

I am SO EXCITED that you are being ecumenical!!