September 24, 2007

a dose of humility

One of my resources for preaching is a blog called, theolog, the blog for Christian Century. Because it isn't just a lectionary blog it often has other, good, stuff. Today as I got my stuff together for Sunday a title jumped out at me and I just had to read it. The Wired Pastor by Jason Byassee.

It was a real smack in the face to me, my Blackberry Pearl, my blog, and my facebook stalking.

You’ve seen them, maybe you’re one of them: pastors who must be in touch at all times. The cell phone is either in use or strapped handily onto the belt, ready to be pulled out at a moment’s notice. It’s best as a Blackberry or Treo, so it can vibrate every ten minutes with news of new messages. And just in case those fail, a beeper should be handy. You can never be too wired.

I can understand why some professions would cause one to need to be accessible 100 percent of the time: firefighters, psychologists with mentally ill patients and (given recent floods in this part of the country) plumbers come to mind. But why pastors?... Read it all here

No comments: