May 6, 2008

as the Spirit gave them ability

Somewhere in the middle of the Acts 2 and 1 Corinthians 12 lessons is a profound theology of Spiritual Gifts. Having taught several different classes on the topic, phrases like "as the Spirit gave them ability" and "Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone" really jump out at me, and to be quite honest they make me smile.

I try to be very careful (nowadays) about ever saying that a body of faithful believers has gotten it wrong. There are enough theological potholes in my own tradition that to point out where others may be missing the point is a dangerous activity indeed. However in light of these two lessons and the great spectacle that is the Day of Pentecost I would like to affirm that there is no place in the Church for a Spiritual Gifts litmus test, and if someone has told you there is, you tell them I said "no!"

The most common of these "must haves" is the gift of tongues. But, even in the Acts lesson, where it seems that all the faithful have it, we get the caveat that they speak out only "as the Spirit gave them ability." It has nothing to do with them. Let me repeat that, the ability of the apostles to speak in various tongues on Pentecost has everything to do with the Spirit and nothing to do with them.

There are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. As we prepare ourselves to remember once again the day the Spirit emerged with great power and glory we are wise to move beyond litmus tests and instead be discerning. With what gifts has God equipped me? How best can I use those gifts for the common good? How can I help others to see the gifts with which God has equipped them?

No comments: