May 13, 2008

Beyond the Shadow of a doubt

The Gospel lesson for Trinity Sunday is the Great Commission, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you." It is a very powerful text; one that calls us to a life that many aren't willing to live, I am going to save that post for another day.

Today I am struck by the fact that 50% of the Gospels (in their truest forms) end with doubt and fear. Mark's short ending and the ending of Matthew we read this week both end very quickly and both without much in the way of redemption. It is very representative of the life of faith to me that they end that way. How many days do we wake up and say, "wow, what the heck am I doing?" Or how often does our mind start to wander as we ponder the Trinity so that we end up saying, "how is this possible?"

The life of faith is one of questions. As we search for God we ask questions of (and about) God in the hopes of finding a glimpse. Today I am thankful that some doubted. This morning I am glad that the women "told no one for they were afraid." Today I'm asking questions again. Today, God is faithful.

No comments: