August 19, 2008

salvation history... go!

The second blog I wrote for was with a group of friends and we did the same thing I'm doing here; we wrote our reflections on the weekly lectionary. Having several people writing and reflecting themselves and with each other was a great gift to me, and there are days that I miss it very much (incidentally it died on Aug 22, 2007 - almost a year to the day ago). Anyway, I bring it up because we called it Lectionary... Go! after a thing my in-laws used to do. If we started down a conversation path that seemed strange or wanted to change topics quickly someone (usually SHW or her mom) would through out a new topic and say "Go" offering a great opportunity for quick thoughts, not unlike the blog above.

Still another anyway, I bring all that up because it feels like here as year a slowly heads toward home that the guys and gals who made up this new lectionary decided to give us the command salvation history... Go! Just two short weeks ago we found ourselves reading the most profound sentence in scripture, "they took Joseph to Egypt" and today we run through a new Pharaoh who does not know Joseph and Moses being saved by Pharaoh's daughter. Now I know that's how it goes in the bible I understand that all that happens very quickly in the text, but the forty years are coming quick, and my guess is they will last only half of the OT lesson Sunday week.

The story of salvation history, especially that of the Exodus, is so very important to the Judeo-Christian monotheists. It is something we recall often in psalm, in song, and, for Christians, in the story of Jesus of Nazareth. It could easily be the focus of a sermon series, but this Sunday especially there would be much work to do as Ex 1.8-2.10 runs through such a large stretch of human history.

OK preachers, salvation history... Go!

1 comment:

King of Peace said...

I looked ahead to the four weeks of Moses—birth and rescue, call at the burning bush, passover, and Red Sea crossing—and decided that I will hang with Moses in my preaching for the coming month. I think salvation history that is foundational for Judaism could use a little exposition and so I started in on it this past Sunday and plan to continue.

Nothing wrong with the great Gospel readings, but I'm just sticking with the OT lessons for now.

peace,
Frank+
kingofpeace.blogspot.com
www.kingofpeace.org