May 4, 2009

Conviction

I've gotten better, but I still find myself starting the occasional conversation with the question, "do you know what I hate?"  The answer is usually related to how another's actions based on their own self-interest/stupidity negatively affects my day.  Things like; people who wait for a parking space before the exiting cars trunk is full, people who stop at the top of stairs, people who start conversations with "do you know what I hate."

True to form, God has once again found a way to challenge my self-satisfying pride by reminding me that it is only in love that I am able to abide in him and remain a part of his vine.

"Those who say, 'I love God,' and hate their brothers or sisters are liars."

Dang it.  Convicted again.

It is funny how my dislike of their careless self-focus is always related to how it negatively impacts my own self-focus.  I now have to sit in the Wal*Mart parking lot just a little bit longer.  I now have to walk around your group while you decide whether to hit up the Yankee Candle Store or Brookstone first.  I now have to listen to you gripe about another human being (or group thereof).

As I prepare to head north for a baptism and to make promises about "seeking and serving Christ in all persons", "respecting the dignity of every human being", "strive for justice and peace" my little habit of "do you know what I hate" seems to have a bright line shining upon it.

I hate that.

No comments: