March 30, 2010

forgiveness

"When you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

In three days Jesus will be hanging on a cross and ask God to "forgive them for they know not what they do." Even in the midst of torture; beaten, bloody, struggling for breath - Jesus is in the business of forgiveness. He forgives even his enemies so that our Father in heaven might forgive us our sins.

How seldom I really think of forgiveness. I mean, I say "I'm sorry" a lot, but that rarely is my seeking forgiveness. Or when another says, "I'm sorry" to me, I usually blow it off and so, "don't worry about it," or "no problem," or "its cool." But very rarely do I actually seek true forgiveness from another, and even less often do I seek to forgive.

How I hamper my own redemption by my lack of forgiveness. Father, forgive me, for often I know not what I do.

No comments: