February 1, 2007

gut reactions to day 3

1 - a slice of humble pie - after yesterdays comment extravaganza on the boomer generation, Brian Mclaren was asked today what is the growing edge for emerging Christians. "We should not criticize anyone." Can you hear the air being sucked from my lungs as I get punched repeatedly in the gut. It should be noted here that my wife, while not a blog commenter, made fun of me greatly for taking this one example of a bad boomer and writing off the entire demographic. Oh well, I stand by what I said, and appreciate you all for your words of correction and support.

2 - this emergent thing, like any liturgical revolution, will deal over and over and over again with the issue of worship vs. show vs. entertainment. Having a band, or having an organ, or having some of both are all fine things for worship. Where it gets sketchy is when the organ or band or both get carried away and it moves from a time of corporate worship to individual prayer, praise, and show.

3 - Christian Practices are exactly that, "practice." They are not perfect, they are not necessarily pretty, but they are the working over and over again of a follower of Jesus on what it means to live that life. I think this is important to realize as we hold ourselves to an unattainable standard - Jesus, but equally important not to write off our mistakes as practice. We should, as Paul says, run the race as though to win.

4 - A Marvin Gaye Eucharist I would go to, a U2charist, I will not.

5 - Brian Mclaren had a great way of looking at the cultural shift present today. We are moving from a gospel of escape - heaven at death (if not before) to a gospel of transformation - God's saving health here on earth. Said a different way, the gospel we've been given is highly individualistic. "I don't have to deal with the struggles of life (poverty, hunger, disease, environment, AIDS, personal piety, corporate worship, etc., etc.) if Jesus is coming back tonight. Live as if he's not coming back in your lifetime, what will you do to break in the kingdom here, now?

6 - What is God's dream for you? What is God's dream for your context? What is God's dream for your denomination? What is God's dream for the world?

7 - read your job description carefully - and if you can start something new, do it. If your contract calls on you to tend the status quo 45 hours a week, work 45 hours a week (not 44 and not 46) and do a good job. Use your free time to serve God. (this got a lot of laughs).

8 - a great example of hope for the future. Church of the Apostles takes on "interns" for a week, a month, or longer. A church planter from the AMiA was one of the interns. When challenged by diocesan authorities, Karen told them his story. He approached his Episcopal Bishop and asked if he could plant churches. His bishop was not interested in planting churches. The AMiA was. Bingo. This AMiA planter served in her community for 3 months with the Bishop's blessing. Yay!

This was a fabulous 3 days, and I'm sorry to be heading back to the modernest mecca of VTS. I'm excited for what the future holds, however, for VTS, TEC, and beyond. I'll write again soon.

Grace, Peace, and all that's jazz!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

If you can get Peter Lee to allow a Marvin Gaye Eucharist at VTS I will TOTALLY be there.

Adam Jacob said...

Interesting story about AMiA church-planting...

I've always felt a strong pull towards church-planting. My opinions don't quite match up with groups like AMiA, but then, they definitely don't match up with the majority here in +Quincy, either. Despite that, I've met with the bishop, sounded him out a little on the things we disagree about, and as a result, I'm seriously considering pursuing a vocational call here with Bp. Ackerman. I'd like to remain part of TEC no matter what my diocese does, and I'm hoping there's a chance for that.

Anyway, here's to the future of Christ's church, be it emerging, Episcopanglican, or otherwise.