June 26, 2007

Teams

What a perfect gospel lesson to have as I restart this blogging thing from my new office in Foley, AL. Jesus' sending of the 70, 2 by 2, is a great image to have as I begin work as the second clergy on staff. We carried a little more than Jesus wanted his followers (we have a purse, several bags, a hundred or so shoes, and stopped for a night on the way and became lifetime members of the rendezvous), but we made it to a town that is open to God's peace and a parish that is excited to give their beloved rector a break while seeing new ministry grow from their now team of ministers.

What is so interesting to me is the issue of authority in the Gospel for Proper 9. The 70 are so happy that they've been given the opportunity to do such power work. Granted they were given the authority from Jesus himself, but how often do we get that excited about the opportunities for ministry we are given on a day to day basis. Do we marvel at the broken woman who walks through the door or groan that that needy person is back to take up our time again? I don't know, it hasn't happened to me yet, but I imagine it'll get tough. I imagine I'll need to be reminded of the power that lies in the authority given by the power of the Holy Spirit. That's why a team is so great. When I get down, Keith is there to remind me of who we point to and vice verse. 2 by 2; I think this is going to be a good ride.

No comments: