December 12, 2007

john wonders "what-the-"

I've been surprised in my study this week that there is almost a unanimous feeling among the folk who I consult that JBap is in a really dark place by the time Matthew's 11th chapter comes around.

He is in prison and is hearing all sorts of stories about what Jesus, the one he called the Messiah, the one he saw God descend upon, the one he heard from the mouth of God about, is doing. And he is not happy. The first verse could easily read, "When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he wondered what-the- is he up to?" Matthew, to his credit, has already answered the question. For the first time in his gospel he calls Jesus the Messiah, so we know that no matter the struggle JBap is facing, Jesus will be shown to be the anointed one of God.

I'm not sure why this surprised me, but it did. I guess I forget that God chose normal people back then the same way he does now. My faith is not perfect. I, from time to time, have wondered, is this really it? Am I on the right train? In fact if we were the least bit honest with ourselves and each other we have all wondered why David Koresh was a nutter and Jesus was the Son of God. So today I'm learning how real God's chosen ones are. Even the great bridge between the Old Covenant and the New had his doubts. And like us, all he had to go on was the word of someone else. He didn't hear Jesus teach. He didn't see the miracles. Somebody told him, second hand. No wonder we falter from time to time. Our "second hand source" is scantly second hand, almost 2000 years old, and has been corrupted by more bad translations that we care to think about. Thank God he doesn't call us to be without doubt; he just calls us to see, hear, and believe. I can do that... at least for today.

No comments: