December 14, 2007

playing the waiting game

We are preparing for yet another funeral here. I've lost track, but I think it is the 9th since I arrived, the 6th I've been directly involved in. It being Advent, a season of waiting, I'm thinking again about my understanding of what happens after death. Especially in light of the second half of Jesus' compliment for JBap, "Truly I tell you, among those born of women no one has arisen greater than John the Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

None of those who have died here in the last six months were JBap's, but all had their role as a follower of Jesus Christ. Some were active in prison ministry, some played musical instruments to the glory of God, some gave richly of their time, talents, and treasure, some where devoted spouses, some were amazing parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents. And they each have been offered a place of honor in the kingdom. They wait with us for the ushering in of the new creation, but for now dine alongside JBap at the heavenly banquet.

As we wait on this side of life patience can run thin. We miss our friends and family members who have gone on before. We wish Jesus would return already so we can stroll on the beach with them once again. Our loved ones wait as well, but I can't imagine patience running thin at that table; the make-your-own omelet station aside.

Anyway, waiting is on my mind today. Waiting here. Waiting there. Waiting.

No comments: