March 4, 2009

motivations

The old saying goes, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."  Jesus himself seems to set us upon that road in the gospel for Sunday.

"If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it."

It sounds like we should give up our lives becuase in doing so we can save it, but I'm not sure that's the motivaiton Jesus had in mind.  Do I do a good work just to do it, or do I do it to get credit?  Seems to me I should just do good because it is good, regardless of the reward.  Setting up a reward makes the motivations mixed, makes the intentions somewhat impure.

Do I deny myself and follow Jesus beacuse it is the dream of God, or, do I deny myself and follow Jesus to get my everlasting life card-punched?  Geez, tough one.  Getting my card-punched would be nice - it'd be great to be sure that I had done what is required of me, but maybe what is required is doing it just because it is God's dream.

1 comment:

Sam said...

good word! the tension of this teaching is difficult for me. i wish my motives were often even as pure as> "i hope my card is stamped", often my motives are- Hope my wife sees this, or hope that random guy over there sees me and is impressed.

Alas, i need Jesus all the time or surely my path is a hellbound one.