June 11, 2009

an update on Monday's post

My post on Monday, in case you didnt see it, was entitled, Even the Lord Makes Mistakes.  Over on Facebook a friend challenged that thought, arguing that the tradition would say that God does NOT make mistakes.  He linked an article that for me was relatively unconvincing - proof texts and I don't get along very well.

I understood the point he was making, however.  To say God makes mistakes opens up a whole lot in the way of theological mumbo-jumbo.  Still I was unconvinced.

Then on Tuesday, St. Paul's opened its doors to a grieving family that had no church home.  On a scale of 1 to 10, a funeral service for a three month old who died suddenly is extremely awful.  It was a long and exhausting day, but in the midst of it, God spoke directly to me.

The greatuncle of the young boy gave a homily.  He is a man of deep faith, a man whose presence in prayer was noticable.  He stood up, and the third sentence out of his mouth was, "God does not make mistakes."

This, is a systematic theological statement that carries weight for me, and this, I now believe.

No comments: