May 17, 2010

Satisfied

"Lord, show us the Father and we will be satisfied."

Ummm... let's just say if you are satisfied by now, you'll never be satisfied.

I'm not preaching Pentecost this year, thanks be to God, and I assume that Keith will preach the Acts lesson, but I know he is drawn to this phrase by Philip in John's Gospel. I'm drawn to it too. How often do I tell God, if you'll just do this for me, I'll be satisfied. And then, after said request is fulfilled, I come back with, now if you'll just do this, then I'll really be satisfied.

Ummm... he sent his only Son to live and die as one of us, to reconcile us to God. I should probably be satisfied.

There are some that will never be satisfied with God. Some who will never believe because he just hasn't done enough for them. But for those of us who claim to be disciples, well then what Jesus said, what he did, and the power of the Spirit active in our lives should be enough to be satisfied.

No comments: