July 14, 2011

One Square Meter

Jack Daniel's fans who are lucky enough to become Tennessee Squires are deeded one square inch of land.

Habitat for Humanity of Baldwin County supporters can donate one square foot of a house.

The more I think and pray about the Parable of the Wheat and the Tares, the more I'm convinced that none of us is just one plant in this story. I think that perhaps each human being comprises more like one square meter in the field of God.

As I take stock of my own life, I am keenly aware of the ways in which good fruit (wheat) and bad fruit (tares) grow up side by side, often intertwined, within me. Like the Apostle Paul said in the Epistle lesson a few weeks ago, "I don't understand my own actions."

Plants have no choice as to whether they are wheat or weeds. They have no ability to tear up the weeds that are choking them out. They are stuck until harvest.

Human beings, on the other hand, have choices to make. Am I content having my square meter be more full of weeds than wheat? Am I willing to ask God for help pulling the weeds? Am I able to be patient enough to wait for that to happen?

Parables are never as simple as they seem on Monday, but I'm still glad I don't have to preach this weekend.

No comments: