January 29, 2007

I'm here

For those of you that don't know, I'm in Decatur, GA this week on 815 (our national church)'s tab to attend the Emergent/Mainline Conference at Columbia Seminary. While I've been spoiled by private aviation, this particular flying experience wasn't terrible.

Leaving from Reagan National's terminal A is amazing. It's the old terminal, its small, its intimate, its simple, and I love it. After navigating my way through the airtran employee who, I'm fairly certain, loses pay for each word she speaks, I got in the world's shortest security line, got blown by air puffs, and made the metal detector happy.

A couple of beers at the the Sam Adams kiosk and I was ready for the short flight to Atlanta. Aside from a few major bumps along the way the flight went smoothly and I arrived (with luggage) in Atlanta Heartfield something something somethin airport. Avis treated me pretty well with a Chevy Cobalt coupe (very sporty) and I was on my way to the Super 8 on Church St. in Decatur. (warning complaining comes here)

Atlanta is a confusing city. I was looking for exit 91. I started at exit 72 (pretty easy ehhh?). At some point I found myself staring at exit 247... what? Are they serious? After scrambling to have a backup travel plan I reemerged on i-85 at exit 87 and found my way to the Super 8 that could be placed in any metropolitan area in the US. A subcontinent Indian man who had the same compensation plan as the airtran employee got me into my smoking (grrr)-king room and I was golden.

Until that is I tried to find a place to eat. Actually, I can't complain. I had some great food at the Brick Store Pub (once I found a parking space). Leaving the parking garage was a bit of a challenge, but once I found the automatic teller and 3 dollars in my wallet, I was on my way to the Krogers for a bottle of wine.

I know this is a lot more than anyone cared to know, but I'm trying to be faithful on blogging on my experience here at the conference. It will not only be beneficial to me to reflect (and it will help my paper for 815), but I hope that those who check in here will have an opportunity to gain from my experience here.

Check back throughout the next few days, I'll do my best to keep up. Those looking for lectionary blogging will be disappointed, as am I (I'm preaching on 6 Epiphany), but I will return to my practice after the Bears win the Super Bowl.

No comments: