January 25, 2007

a place in this crazy mixed up world

In what seemed like a 9 hour conversation with my spiritual director yesterday, i think we found a solid footing for me in TEC. I guess I've always had the knowledge that I am called to the Episcopal Church, but felt an underlying fear that I'd be run out for my low liturgy or my understanding of judgment or whatever. Then she, my spiritual director, was drawn to this prayer.

O God of unchangeable power and eternal light: Look
favorably on your whole Church, that wonderful and sacred
mystery; by the effectual working of your providence, carry
out in tranquillity the plan of salvation; let the whole world
see and know that things which were cast down are being
raised up, and things which had grown old are being made
new, and that all things are being brought to their perfection
by him through whom all things were made, your Son Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.


This prayer is found in the services for Good Friday, Holy Saturday, the Easter Vigil, and every ordination and it is fantastic. It is a reminder that while we are a church, we are but a small part of the Church. Our prayer should not be for numbers and growth in our parishes or denominations, but for the will of God to be fulfilled in the lives of all of God's creation. We are first and foremost called to make disciples of Jesus Christ, no matter the denominational affiliation. In the making of disciples and the pursuit of spiritual practices the whole world can come to see the breaking in of the kingdom of God. That's what its all about. That's my place in TEC. This prayer will exist as a mantra for me as I go forward in the pursuit of God's will.

Oh I'm so stoked. For the first time in a while, I was genuinely excited yesterday as I heard my SD read this prayer. Gawsh, it was a cool experience. I hope you'll read this prayer and find similar hope and joy.

1 comment:

Eliz F said...

Very ecumenical post! Makes me happy.