April 18, 2008

an interesting parallel

Sorry to be lax this week.

I've had swirling in my head since Monday night the parallel between this story of Jesus comforting and commissioning his disciples at the last supper and God comforting and commissioning Moses in the burning bush story.

John 14.12-14 - Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.

Exodus 3.12 - God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."

We've struggled some in our Draughting Theology conversations around the issue of God in the Old Testament and God in the New. I get it. We even talked about it a lot in seminary. The God of the OT seems vengeful and angry. The God of the NT appears to be all about love. A real study will show that the God of the OT and the God of the NT are the same God - characterized by judgment and grace (for one can not exist without the other). And I think one can read the parallel above and note that God is doing the same thing (in two persons) in both stories.

1. God sends (Moses/Disciples)
2. God asks for more than we think we can do (free from Egypt/greater works than Jesus)
3. God assures us of his promises only if we follow through (you will worship me on this mountain/you will do greater works than these)

It is scary to think that the only way we can know that we are following the will of God is after the action is over. But to rest in promises so sure that the proof is at the end seems much more comforting than the fear that might arise. God of the OT, God of the NT, God provides provided we trust in his promises.

No comments: