April 1, 2008

It is not about me

The lesson from Acts for Sunday is a helpful reminder that the work of ministry is not about the ministers. I find it helpful as I continue to search for the best way to approach those outside the church.

"Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed the multitude, 'Let the entire house of Israel know with certainty that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified.' Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and to the other apostles, 'Brothers, what should we do?'"

Peter didn't do anything special or flashy. He wasn't holding Bible Studies in a bar. He didn't have a kick-ass praise and worship band. He didn't have slick glasses, nice boots, and an Emergent Village book deal. He stood up and proclaimed Jesus as Lord and Messiah. That is all he did. The Holy Spirit/Christ/the Father did the real work so that the crowd was "cut to the heart." It is a good reminder for me as I get frustrated with my "lack of success." I know that it is all self-inflicted, but still, it feels good to be reminded that all I must do is proclaim that Jesus is Lord and the rest isn't up to me.

As a side benefit, as I admit my sense of a "lack of success" it also makes me think about all the good that has come in the 9 months we've been in Foley, and for that I am grateful. Remember friends, It isn't about us.

No comments: