September 3, 2008

watch yourself

"Where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am there among them."

These words of Jesus are used often by Christians.  They have become almost cliche and are the source for at least one decent church joke - "where two or three Episcopalians are gathered there is always a fifth... a fifth of jack, a fifth of gin... a fifith of..."

What I am realizing today is the reverent fear with which we should hear those words.  If two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus, then he is there too.  Think about what it means to have Jesus there too.  How often do we gather [supposedly] in the name of Jesus only to rail against our critics or adversaries.  And what does it mean when we follow his prescribed method of discipline to take two witnesses with us (presumably in Jesus' name)?  How different is the way in which we approach the "sinner" if we know that Jesus is there watching?  Why or Why not?

I'm thinking very carefully today about my own actions, and how I take the Lord's name in vein when I forget he is with me and act as if I don't need him.

I guess it is all about discipline really.  My own self-discipline - creating a lifestyle of forgiveness not because Jesus might be in the room with me, but because it is the only response possible as a sinner forgiven and redeemed.

No comments: