April 7, 2009

Tuesday in Holy Week

My Isaiah knowledge is a bit shaky - it has been several years since I've done much work with 1, 2, 3, Isaiah and the Suffering Servant, but the word coming to me from that prophet is powerful.  It is just offered almos as a side thought in the midst of a long pericope, but it again opens my eyes to see the vastness of God's Passion - his deep desire to restore all of creation.

It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the trives of Jacob and to restore the survivors of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach the end of the earth.

Restoring his chosen people, again, was not on the agenda when God sent his only Son to walk the earth.  Well, it was and it wasn't.  Restoring God's chosen people would happen, but only as all the nations - the the end of the earth - were restored to right relationship.  Only as salvation made its way around the globe.

"Among those who came to worship at the festival were some Greeks.  They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus." (Mk 12.20)

By Tuesday of his last week, the news had spread.  God's dream, his desire to restore everything was coming to fruition.  The larger plan was fixin' to start.

No comments: