June 1, 2010

think, do [understand]

This Sunday is full of resurrection. The son of the widow at Zerphath and the son of the widow at Nain are both raised from the dead. One by the great prophet, Elijah, and one by the greatest prophet, Jesus of Nazareth.

These lessons are curious, however, in light of the Collect for Sunday as we pray that God might help us to "think those things that are right" and that "by his merciful guiding we may do them."

I can honestly say, I've never had the inkling that laying face down on a dead body was the right thing to do. I've never heard my heart say, "touch the coffin and he will rise." But I have known and done some things that were "right" that I will never understand.

What strikes me this morning is how, even in Paul's rambling in Galatians, the Christian faith is boiled down this week to God leads and I follow. But what makes it even better is that God leads not by example, necessarily, but by steering our hearts.

The one who is defiant, "I shall not be a missionary" serves the people of India because her heart was changed. The one who is certain, "I will live a life of singleness" finds himself married to a partner in ministry because his heart was changed.

When we let him in, God changes our hearts and steers us toward what is right for within. Oh, but how often do I keep God out by saying "no" or "it isn't possible" or "I don't want to." Thanks be to God that he is persistent. Otherwise, who knows where I'd be.

No comments: