August 19, 2010

whose glory?

The more I think about my sermon for Sunday the more I'm thinking that the linchpin to the whole thing is the throw away line in the Collect for the week, "to the glory of [God's] name."

God is calling Jeremiah to speak God's word to the glory of God's name.

The Psalmist sings the praises of God to the glory of God's name.

The author of the letter to the Hebrews recalls God's great power to the glory of God's name.

Jesus heals the crippled woman and she sings praises to the glory of God's name.

It is impossible to live for self when one's motivation is the glory of God's name. Our expectation (said and unsaid) go out the window when my glory goes away and God's glory comes into focus. This seemingly insignificant phrase of transition in the Collect of the Day is, in my opinion, the key to understanding the whole theme of Sunday's lessons; God's unending glory.

No comments: