September 28, 2010

Increase our Faith

This is my first time tackling the text from Luke 17:5-10. I haven't had the chance yet to consult any resources, but I have to think that this is made up of two pieces of teaching from Jesus. Today, I'm focused on the first part, where the disciples ask Jesus to increase their faith.

I wonder how often I've asked God for the very same thing. Be it in the midst of a crisis moment, in the course of a life-changing decision, when things are humming along fine and I'm tempted to trust only in myself, or the times in between, I have plenty of chances to ask God for just a little more faith.

Jesus' response is typically Jesus and feels like a non sequitur. "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed you could tell this mulberry tree to be uprooted and plant itself in the sea, and it would do it."

Ummm... thanks. I guess.

My gut is telling me that Jesus is saying, "don't worry about how much faith you have, just have faith." We don't need A LOT of faith, we just need some faith. Any little smidgen of faith is enough to carry us through. As a human being, I feel like I always need more, but Jesus seems to be telling me, "be content with the faith you've got, I'll carry you through."

That works for me.

No comments: