September 15, 2010

things earthly

Today is September 15th, which for many of us is also known as the day that 3rd quarter tax estimates are due. I hate paying quarterlies. I especially hate that the first quarter payment is due on April 15th, which is the same day that any underestimates from the previous year are due, which is only two months (not a full quarter) away from the dates that 2nd quarter estimates are due.

I'm not sure yet what it has to do with the shrewd manager, but I'm certain that today is one of those "live out the Collect" days. Grant us, Lord, not to be anxious about earthly things: about money, about power, about prestige, about stuff, about food, about clothing, about friendships, about illness, about any of that crap. Instead, help us to love things that are heavenly: relationships, justice, humility, peace, love, joy, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, and self-control.

Writing a four digit check to the federal government every two to four months is not my idea of a good time, it is the beginning of anxiety, but, on this day, I pray that my mind will be on things above and that the peace of Christ will rule my heart.

No comments: