July 17, 2007

figuring it out

Keith and I had our first Thursday morning meeting last week. One thing I noted is that as I settle into this new role (deacon), new home, new city, and new job, I have to get used to having nothing that resembles a routine. All I can do is have a list of moments with God that I strive for each day, and then do my best to fit them in throughout the day. So this morning I tried something new. Thanks to the wonderful sisters (at least i think they are sisters) over at Mission St. Claire, I am going to try to pray Morning Prayer each day. I'll substitute the weekly lectionary and collect for the daily, and see how it works.

Today seems like the perfect day to start as the story of Mary and Martha is the gospel for the upcoming week. Talk about distractions, I have nothing but. Having no real time schedule and no real routine means life is nothing but distractions. I could prepare for our liturgy planning meeting tomorrow, or I could work on the website, or I could plan a meditation for Thr morning, or I could work on the youth planning meeting, or I could go over to a habitat house and swing a hammer, or I could... I think you get the point.

What I must do, over and above any coulds or shoulds is sit at the feet of the Lord for a while. I need to eliminate the distractions that pervade my life and just abide for some time with God. It ain't easy; there is a ton to do, the phone rings, but I need to do it. It felt so refreshing to read Morning Prayer this morning; albeit in silence off my computer screen. It felt good to listen along to midi files of bad Canticles and hymns (Splendor and Honor was today's selection). It felt good to affirm my faith in the Apostle's Creed using "I"s. I hope this can be a part of my growing daily time with God. I hope that now that Keith is back and we are sharing some of the visitation load that I have more time to prepare myself each day. I hope that I can find that balance between Mary and Martha.

Do you have a routine? Do you have a daily plan to spend time with God? I'd love to hear about it, I'm still looking for ideas. Especially fun ways to spend time God in prayer with SHW (smokin' hot wifey). One of these days I'll get this figured out, but for today, I feel good enough to be distracted.

5 comments:

Eliz F said...

"WifeY"? Are you nuts?

spankey said...

You don't like WifeY? I think it is so much more fun than lain ol' wife. Yes I am insane.

Peter Carey said...

eliz, do you REAllY have to ask if he's insane...? look at that shirt he's wearing,,,...

Eliz F said...

Sometimes I get distracted by his excellent exegesis and forget that he's insane...thanks for the reminder!

spankey said...

ok, now you are the one who might be nuts... "excellent exegesis"!?! Dr.'s Cook and Yieh might say otherwise.