July 24, 2007

i found something new

Well at least it is new to me. And that may not even be true, it may be something I noticed before and forgot, but it is new to me today. I've read the passage from Luke 11 on prayer dozens of times in my life. I've heard it preached on. I was part of a Lenten series on the Lord's Prayer. I thought I had some idea what was going on in this passage. Then today, as I read it again I noticed something very peculiar, something that I had not noticed before.

The passage for the Lectionary ends with verse 13 (I don't have verse #s but it is something like), "If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

"How much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"!!!!!

Have you ever noticed that before? When I think of this passage in my mind I hear it as "How much more will the heavenly Father give to those who ask him!" But that isn't what Jesus is promising here. Jesus isn't promising that the Prayer of Jabez will bring you riches. He isn't promising that every time we pray for healing it'll happen. He isn't promising victory for the side that prays more. Nope, he is promising the Holy Spirit to anyone who asks. He is promising the overflowing of the Spirit to those who ask again and again.

In light of the examples; bread, fish, eggs, it seems like Jesus is calling us to ask for that which gives us life. Immediately then, he tells us what to ask for. Not for 2 747s for your ministry. Not for a million dollars. Not for a brilliant idea. Nope, ask for that which give life, the Holy Spirit. Ask again and again. God will give you so much of the Spirit that you'll overflow. I'm glad for this realization. It makes my prayer life easier. "Give me the good stuff God, fill me up with your Holy Spirit!" That I can pray with confidence.

2 comments:

PRP said...

Steve,
It's great to read your thoughts every day. I'm glad to see that the bullfrog isn't keeping you from blogging.
Pat Perkins

spankey said...

Pat,

Thanks for reading. It is amazing what forms ministry takes on outside of the holy hill. I hope all is well.