July 24, 2007

WOW

I haven't shared this story yet, but now seems like an appropriate time.

In early May of this year I was tapped by Diana Butler Bass and the Cathedral College to help put together the Draughting Theology sessions for the Church in the 21st Century conference at the Washington National Cathedral. My compensation was free admission to the conference, so I took full advantage. During one breakout session, lead by Tony Jones, National Coordinator for Emergent Village, a man went on a rant about what the central claim of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is.

Afterward, and I don't know how this happened, but we were engaged in a conversation when I had to stand my ground and affirm that his central claim and mine were different. And then the flood gates opened. Apparently, and I didn't know this, but my walk with Christ is a self-centered faith, focused only on saving my own butt from the fires of a hell that I made up. His tirade went on for a few minutes. I said I was sorry he felt that way and that I wished perhaps we could have a more generous conversation about our faiths. Anyway, to toot my own horn, I had three people come up to me later and say how impressed they were with my reaction. This must have been the Holy Spirit because I am German and Irish, we don't typically respond well in the face of criticism.

All this to say that we really need to work on the tenor of our conversations in theology. A Spirit of Generosity and humility is completely lacking. And while my friend happened to be on the left side of the old conservative liberal paradigm, it happens both ways. Take a listen to the redonkulous appearance by Tony Jones on the Albert Mohler Radio Program. For background, go here, and then spend 35 minutes or so listening to what I can only describe as a Spirit-filled reaction by Tony Jones to a venomous attack by Dr. Russell Moore, the guest host that day.

Enjoy. WOW!

1 comment:

tony said...

WOW is right. The orthodoxies of the left are just as Pharisaical as the orthodoxies of the right!