November 29, 2007

snow on a dung heap

Martin Luther's famous analysis of the human condition is one that most of us aren't keen on. So as I read the lesson for Sunday from Romans I can't help but wonder what it means to "put on the Lord Jesus Christ."

In my Young Life days it was made clear to me that when God looks at me he sees Jesus. So I guess that might be what its about, but still, I don't buy that either. Why wouldn't God want to see me? Sure I'm not great looking. Sure my sin makes me even harder to look at. And OK I spend most of my time with my back to God, but why, if God loves me, knit me in my mother's womb, knows the number of hairs on my head and had my name engraved on his hand, why would he see anything other than me when he glanced in my direction?

If I "put on the Lord Jesus Christ" does it mean that I am veiled by him? I'm not so sure it does. But if I am striving to be like him. If I am working to help bring the Kingdom to earth right now (if even for a moment) then maybe that is "putting on the Lord Jesus Christ." Not physically veiling myself in his image like Nick Cage and John Travolta in Face Off, but rather to put on his character; his Godly will.

And so then when God sees me I hope he doesn't see snow on a dung heap or only the phyical manifestation of Jesus, but me, messy as I am, trying to put on Christ as best I can.

2 comments:

(Kathy) said...

Steve - You won't be surprised that I'm interested in the dualism in this passage: casting away the works of darkness, putting on the armor of light. The "putting on the Lord Jesus - with its baptismal resonances - has something to do with being armed against "darkness" - with a new identity and a new way. The focus isn't about being in darkness so much as about being empowered to "cast away the works of darkness and put on the armor of light." So maybe it's more that when Jesus sees me, he sees a part of His renewed body, already there, and offers continuing protection -- (the armor of light) it seems to me that the emphasis isn't on our depravity ("snow on a dungheap")so much as on the trustworthiness of God who equips us for the struggle. As you'll see from my blog post, I always think a lot about promises in this season so that colors my reading, for sure. But don't this week's passages orient us more toward what God is doing (Watch, expect -- NOT so much "repent and be purified," at least not this week) than toward how we fall short?

spankey said...

Thanks Kathleen - I am clearly colored by my evangelical background and the "fire and brimstone" motivation toward conversion that came with it. I like your reading of the text with its pondering about Jesus looking at me rather than God the Father looking. Somethings to ponder.

A blessed Advent to you!