July 24, 2008

giving thanks for the Spirit

One of the ways my hay fever manifests itself is by making my head feel like it is lined with lead - at least I think it is allergy related, maybe there is another explanation. Anyway, on days when my head feels thusly heavy I can almost feel my prayers bouncing off the inside of my skull and I know that the still small voice of God must be like an x-ray because nothing is coming from the outside.

I had a day like that yesterday, but at noon I was still expected to offer the Eucharistic Prayer on behalf of the faithful gathered in the chapel. I am thankful for the Spirit who intercedes on my behalf with sighs too deep for words. I am grateful that the Spirit finds other means of raising up prayer to God - rising out of my fingertips, toes, noses, and shoulders. I am thankful that even in prayer - and especially in celebrating the Eucharist - it isn't about me.

No comments: