July 14, 2008

that which is first is most important

There is a peculiar line in Jesus' allegorical interpretation of the Parable of the Wheat and Weeds (or tares as it used to be known). I studied this parable in seminary, I've read it numerous times, and honestly, for the first time today I noticed this line, "The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers"

There is a rule in Prayer Book studies that says, in effect, if it is mentioned first it is preferred. That is why I argued in a different post (and many argued with me) that Adult Baptism is the preferred method of baptism in the church. Anyway, I'm wondering if that same rule might be valid as Jesus explains this parable to his disciples.

What does it mean to collect first all causes of sin? It seems to work against his own interpretation - the weeds were "children of the evil one." Yet it seems as though Jesus is saying, on the last day, his primary focus will be not on those who have succumb to the temptations of Satan, but rather Satan and his army of tempters AS WELL AS (and here is where I'll get in trouble) those institutions and people who cause others to sin.

This, I believe, happens in two ways. First, there are those institutions like Madison Ave and the Federal Government which work hard to set the priorities of normal Americans - these I believe are what Jesus had at the forefront of his mind (government more so than advertisers in 1st century Palestine). Secondly, there are people who have bought into it all and look with disdain on those who have not. They drive their flashy car while talking on their i-phone in their Armani suit and make people like me covet - I'm probably projecting here, but I hope Jesus meant these people too as those who the angels would come after with primacy of focus.

This has been a long and windy post, and I'm sorry about that. I'm just process this new thing I've found. If you've worked on this, please feel free to comment and correct me.

No comments: