July 15, 2008

Romans 8.12-25 or Why it is all worth while

I think Romans 8.12-25 is the greatest apocalyptic text in Scripture. It has no mention of fiery battles or rapture or beasts - just a clear statement of what, I think, we all hope for. We wait, with all of Creation, for the ultimate setting to right of all things. In the meantime things are painful and the waiting is oh so difficult, but "the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us."

A couple of days ago I stumbled on FoxNews as they were discussing this Mayan calendar ending in 2012 thing. Take a look.


Yeah, that's right, they had a countdown clock to 2012 at the bottom of the screen. I don't have the official numbers, but I'm guessing on average a person's fear list looks something like 1) public speaking 2) death 3) the end of the world. But it seems to me, in reading the hope filled message of redemption in Romans that #3 need not be such a fearful thing. God's dream for Creation has been, from the beginning, a perfect union between him and us. His plan for doing that in Jesus Christ is by our adoption as sons and daughters and thus co-heirs of the new heaven and new earth with Jesus. It has been a long and convoluted road getting here in Romans, but it is all worth it when we hear these great words of comfort from Paul, a man who longed to see the veil lifted in his day and age, and no doubt still waits with eager anticipation for God to finally set it all right-side-up for good.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Clowns. Clowns are scary.

When I think of apocalyptic writings in the NT Romans isn't what leaps to my mind (Mark 13 is my personal favorite), but I think you are right on in saying that Paul drives towards the act that the changes wrought by the redemption and transformation of creation are not to be feared.