July 10, 2008

a Spirit life

Our leisurely stroll through Romans has often left us confused and wishing Paul were alive so we could smack him around a little bit. See last week confusing rant, "I do what I do when I do what I do..."

Anyway, this Sunday it is all worth it. Paul's encouraging words for the followers of the Way - that ALL of us have the Spirit and ALL of us can live a life of the Spirit. The best line in it all is "you are not in the flesh; you are in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God dwells in you."

It is hard to break away from a life of the flesh. A "me first" attitude is all but expected in 21st century America, but it need not be that way. God has given us a gift - his Spirit - who dwells in us and leads us to a life of "God first - others first" Kingdom living. Being raised to new life in the Spirit means we are no longer focused on our own best interests, but God's. And despite preachers who might tell us different - ALL of us who claim Jesus as Lord are able to live that life. Sure the flesh creeps in and makes us wonder if it is all worth it, but ultimately, if we are open to it, the Spirit will lead us to "life and peace."

1 comment:

cj said...

I am torn...I love the gist of this reading, but keep getting tied up in the dualism of flesh and spirit. I suppose it is partly due to the Middle School camp I'm chaplaining next week - our focus for these soon-to-be-adults is that their bodies are beloved gifts from God & ought to be thought of and respected as such. I can't make this fit it the dualistic theme. I welcome insight.