July 8, 2008

soil

In our backyard we have a great illustration of Jesus' parable of the soils. We have the beginning of a paver patio which sits upon weed resistant fabric. Right off of that and in close to our house, where they prepared the slab, it is all sand. Near the fence the weeds from the right-of-way creep in. About a third or so of the yard is nice and lush with green south alabama grass - the kind that hurts your feet to walk on.

I am thinking a lot today about the constant cycle of soil that is my heart. There are days, maybe even hours, in which I run through all 4 types. I meet people, judge them, and harden my heart. I get really excited about a ministry opportunity, but never follow through. I am easily distracted. Then, maybe as much as a third of the time, my heart is good soil; open and willing to accept what comes its way. As the seeds of the kingdom fall in those times I welcome them with excitement - what a treasure it is to return 30, 60, or 100 fold!

Kingdom living is about cultivating the soil and being constantly prepared for seed to fall. The sower comes without warning, are you ready to accept the seed of his will?

No comments: