July 23, 2008

what should we pray for?

In just over one year of ordained ministry I have been privy to many powerful moments, intimate encounters, and profound questions. As they cycle of birth, life, and death continues on daily questions arise that often have no answer. I am constantly amazed and blessed by how fantastically inadequate I am in the answering of some of life's most difficult questions. I am blessed because it is a constant reminder that I am not God. I am blessed because it reminds me that "it is the Father's good pleasure to give us the kingdom." I am blessed because I am reminded to pray the prayer of Solomon, "Give your servant ... an understanding mind..."

If it is indeed the Father's good pleasure to give us the Kingdom then it is similarly his pleasure to give us understanding minds. To connect with the mind of God is to begin to understand what it is that God dreams for Creation. To get glimpses of that dream is to be privy to the inauguration of the Kingdom. To be privy is to be motivated - to see the Kingdom and not work for its presence here and now is impossible.

Prayers over this past year have carried many words heavenward - words of pain, confusion, loss, discernment, hope, and thanksgiving. Above all else, as I read the prayer of Solomon again, I am convinced that each of these words were in their own way asking for an understanding mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayer is an enigma wrapped in a mystery... I don't think I ever really get the significance--but I also never feel complete without it. I suppose it is always best to ask for a discerning mind that we just might get a glimpse of God's wisdom when things do not appear to be answered.

spankey said...

There is that tradition that says that prayer does nothing, and yet, I agree, I'm not complete without it.

Actually I'm reading the totally tongue in cheek book Lamb right now in which Jesus says "Prayer is talking to God, meditation is listening." And with that in mind I wonder if shutting the heck up isn't a better idea than yammering on about stuff of which God is already aware.

Good to see you in the blogosphere Humm!