February 8, 2008

Discernment of Socks - brown or black?

I know that it is dangerous to pick a piece of scripture out of context and run with it, but that seems to be what I do here, and it is working for me, so I'll do it again today.

Today, I noticed the 11th verse of Psalm 32. It reads, "Do not be like horse or mule, which have no understanding; *who must be fitted with bit and bridle, or else they will not stay near you." It got me thinking about Lent as a turning of the will. It seems to me that God doesn't want to lead us constantly along "like [a] horse or mule... who must be fitted with bit and bridle..." but instead wishes that we would train our own will, our human nature, such that the right decision comes naturally.

Isn't that essentially what we say about Jesus? The early church fathers spent a lot of time, energy, and money getting together to discern a systematic theology in light of varying opinions. And at some point, they decided that Christ was fully human, meaning he had a will just like us, and fully divine, meaning that will was completely in touch with God's will, there was no variation, no sin, as it were. And isn't the goal of the Christian journey to become more like Christ? So then, it makes sense to me that at some point God would love to give up the bit and bridle knowing that we have been filled with the Spirit, given the necessary education, and are using rightly the knowledge of good and evil the fall granted us so that our will, our decisions will take us along the path of God.

It begins, I think, with the giving up of trite discernment. Does God care what socks you wear? No. Does God have a vested interest in where you go to college? Not really. Or quite frankly, does it even matter to God if you become a priest, a doctor, or a candlestick maker? I doubt it. What matter, what makes each of these decisions "of God" is that in every moment we are 1) giving God glory and 2) utilitizing the gifts which God has given each of us individually. Discernment is not "should I do, wear, eat, study this or that" but instead "is this or that going to bring me close to God"

Still, it isn't easy. There are days that I'd love to hand over my sock color decisions to someone else, but alas, God gave me a mind and a will that is slowly being molded to align with his, so I keep trying, messing up, getting back on track, and ultimately learning to be like Christ.

No comments: