February 26, 2008

seeking him out

We didn't have our Lutheran friends at Lectionary group this morning, and they were sorely missed. We didn't get to hear from their perspective how great a text this week's Gospel lesson is for grace. Twice in a chapter Jesus seeks out the man blind from birth. The man doesn't call for Jesus like some do. The man doesn't come to him at night like Nicodemus did. Rather, Jesus sees that he is the topic of conversation and uses him to bring God glory.

What I find interesting, but am unsure what I'll do with it, is that Jesus seeks him out a second time. I'm not sure of it, but I don't think that happens any other time. Seems like it'll preach that a) being healed/discipled by Jesus won't be easy and b) he won't disappear on us - he will continue to seek us out; even when we are removed from the synagogue (whatever that may be for us).

Anyway, it's late, and dinner is ready, so I'm off. More tomorrow.

1 comment:

cj said...

I love this - I noticed this second seeking, but didn't write it in my notes. This is one of those weeks I hate - all three readings are powerful and would preach wonderfully. "for the Lord does not see as mortals see" from Samuel is a sermon, as is "you are light. Live as children of the light." But its hard to pass up such a great healing story. Taken in the right direction you could weave all three together. How am I blind to the sin within and around me? How am I asleep - missing the chances to be a child of light? Where do I find the fear and negativity that the Pharisees possessed in my own life? Like the mother and father of the blind man, when am I protecting my own interests at the expense of others? When am I seeing like the world sees instead of looking within as God does. And what does God find when he looks in my heart?