February 6, 2008

I'm a soft...

During "the process" I got a lot of different questions aimed at pinning me down theologically. One that came up over and over was, "do you think the Bible should be read literally?" And my answer was always, "I am a soft literalist." They would of course press that issue, and ultimately what I meant by that was that the life to which we are called in Scripture is to be interpreted literally. The Truth of God revealed in Scripture is literal Truth. But, was the world created in six 24 hour time-spans? I don't know. Did Noah live to be 950 years old? MMMM, dunno. Did God create everything from nothing? YES. Did God call Noah to a life of faith against all odds and despite his penchant of wine? YES. See Truth and truth are two different things.

Similarly, over the past few years I've come to deal with the question of universal salvation; does everyone go to heaven? And I think I am now a "soft universalist." Now Matt and Peter, before you get too excited know this; not everyone will go to heaven and there is in fact a hell. I say that I am a soft universalist today having read again the words from the letter to the Romans, "just as one man's trespass led to condemnation for all, so one man's act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all."

I believe that the atonement made for us by Jesus on the cross was once and for all. I believe that through his sacrifice ALL are given the opportunity to join him in his Kingdom. But I do not believe all will. For that, I turn to the 1st letter of Peter chapter 2 verse 8b, "They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do." And I read this not as a proof of predestination, but rather proof that there is a destination. See when we live life focused on ourselves, disobeying the word, ignoring the Truth we are destined to stumble. When we live life for ourselves and not for God, we choose a destination outside of his Kingdom; we give up our inheritance; the universal salvation offered to all. BUT, when we live life for God; when we give our lives over to Him, when he is the focus of all glory and honor, when we strive to live the Kingdom life now, then we are destined to be by his side; to claim the birthright given to us in Christ Jesus.

And so this Lent, I will strive to live that Kingdom life. I will offer myself, my soul and body as a living sacrifice; not for me, but for God, because I know the destination I have chosen. I'm a soft literalist and a soft universalist; a walking contradiction, and I'm ok with that.

Blessings on a holy Lent.

No comments: