February 29, 2008

who has the flashlight?

I noticed this morning that - at least in John 9 - Jesus puts a qualifier on his claim to be the "light of the world." "As long as I am in the world," Jesus says, "I am the light of the world."

It got me to thinking about who or what is the light of the world now? I mean I guess the obvious answer is the Church catholic - but as one on the inside of that particular group it seems cheap of me to claim that we have the light. So where else might light come from? Who has the flashlight this evening?

It might be to some a clever restatement of the Church catholic (universal) to say the following, but I dare say it is not. I think the flashlight is being carried by every person who, to the best of there abilities and to the glory of God, are trying to live a life of faithfulness to God. That means every person who takes seriously love of God and love of neighbor. I must be quick to add, though it'll sound Pharisaical, that not every member of the Church catholic, or everyone who professes to be Christian, fits into this category of flashlight carrier; light of the world.

It is not for me to judge who lives up to it and who does not, but suffice it to say there are plenty who do not, but the vast majority do. This morning, as the sun rises above the education building and begins to shine in my office window light is on my mind. This morning, having just read the long invitation to Confession in Morning Prayer Rite I, I wonder how often I live up to carrying the flashlight? It is not for me to judge who gets a flashlight - just to make sure I'm doing all I can to deserve mine.

No comments: