October 26, 2007

better is one day

As you might know, I am not a big fan of Christian music. Most of it is a poor imitation of popular culture with trite words and repetitive "I/me" language. I do, however, have a special place in my heart for songs of praise across the centuries; especially those with Biblical imagery that are singable for the masses. One of those songs which has had so many incarnations I can't find its original author is "Better is one day" It draws a lot of its imagery from Psalm 84, and done well (like Chris Tomlin's version [the first 4 minutes at least - I stand by my assertion that worship leaders should not be allowed to speak - in the video below) it is a great way to worship.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about that line that I have oft repeated in Young Life, Cornerstone, YS Conferences, etc., etc. "For one day in your courts is better than a thousand in my own room, * and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God than to dwell in the tents of the wicked." What does it mean to say that standing in the threshold of God's realm is better than dwelling (living fully) in the tents of the wicked. Is the uncertainty of the threshold that much better than the certainty the world offers? To not be quite in means to be exposed to the harshness of the weather, but still that is better than the perceived comfort of the tents of the wicked. It is a hard concept for me to grasp as I switch back and forth from heat to a/c these days in my cushy office and newly constructed home. Where is the kingdom/reign of God in my luxury? Am I even near the threshold of God, or have I made my place in the tents of the wicked? Fun stuff to ponder on a Friday.


No comments: