October 3, 2007

reflection of a different sort

Today I'm not reflecting on the lectionary for this week. I feel called instead to reflect, finally, on the HoB Communique to the Anglican Communion, and in light of the week I've had since its publication, I've determined that it really doesn't matter.

I take a lot of pride in being a centrist. I enjoy the fence. I take a lot of pride in being an Anglican/Episcopalian. I enjoy the historic episcopate; I like Canterbury; I love that our demographic center is now in the Global South.

BUT, as I've sat in hospital rooms, talked with widowers and those who have lost children, and worked to give a down-and-out couple a way out of their meth infested trailer park, I've realized that the Communique that came out of the HoB that really mattered came with no fanfare; as an afterthought as ELO (Episcopal Life Online) tried to fill their evening email. It was the story of how the HoB, their spouses, their partners, and their guests worked side by side regular joe's and jane's to help rebuild New Orleans. They paid attention to Lazarus at their gate, and then, when the time came to write about it, they said, in effect, "we are worthless slaves, we did only what were supposed to do."

Those who know me, know that I believe in the virgin birth, I believe in the empty tomb, I believe in the miracles stories. I have not given up on the doctrine, but I'm growing to appreciate the discipline. Following Jesus means doing that which we are called to do, despite what the world around us might say, and that, to me, is why the first Communique in all its well crafted language matters less than the work done for those in need.

2 comments:

Peter Carey said...

Steve,

You are the bomb! What a marvelous reflection - what you are saying is where I am living as well. Spending time at a hospital yesterday, trying to preach the gospel to students living in a largely agnostic/secular time, trying to inspire more community empathy and community service....these matter far more than the Communique. The images of bishops working to muck out houses and build new ones were the images that I would have loved to see, more than all the words about the Communique...

Well put.

Peter

spankey said...

thanks peter,

though i did go from writing this to reading the JSC report. so i guess it matters a little bit. ;-)