October 15, 2007

we're praying for miracles

This being my first foray into full-time ministry, I find myself constantly learning. For instance, I have never been a part of a community where I was privy to the end result of prayers (to be honest, I've never been a part of a community where I was privy to what people were praying for). It is fascinating to be in such a privileged position. And, while I don't have experience anywhere else, it seems like there are plenty of miracles going on here at St. Paul's.

We've had people who should be dead back on their feet in days.

We've had people who should be paralyzed slowly regaining their full faculties.

We've had people who couldn't come to grips with a loved one dying, find solace in God's grace.

We've had people who couldn't find God see him in the asking of their tough questions.

It is truly an amazing thing to see a miracle happen. And we keep praying for them; for healing, for wholeness, for strength, for discernment, for God to make himself known; we just keep praying. Sometimes it is hard to keep praying; it is exhausting to ask God over and over again. It gets to where I want to give up (or at least take a break from it all). And then another miracle happens. Paul tells Timothy that "all Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work." Then Jesus tells his disciples to stick with it; God has to be more willing to listen than the unjust judge. I'm sufficiently reproved, thank you!

We're still praying for miracles here. And we will continue to do so, despite set backs and exhaustion because we want to be proficient in this thing called faith.

No comments: