October 25, 2007

OuT of practice

Dr. Cook would not be happy with me. It has been a long, long time since I preached on the Old Testament lesson. In our lectionary group we are a mix of BCP, RCL, and non-lectionary preachers so we avoid places where we know our readings aren't the same, namely the Old Testament lesson. I read the lesson during my Morning Prayer every day, but to be honest, I have found that I am very much OuT of practice with the theology of the OT scriptures. Dr. Cook, if you are reading this, I am very sorry.

But today rather than being struck by Paul's pride or Jesus' condemnation of pride I was comforted by the audacity of the people of Israel. They have made me wonder if I trust my relationship with God enough to call him to the carpet the way they do.

Jeremiah's oracle concerning the drought makes an interesting change of language - which our lectionary folk noticed by making the first part optional - from "they" to "we".

I love the way in which the people speak to God. They know that God has used signs to remind himself of the various terms of their covenants, and so they insist that God remember.

I love this line in particular, "Do not spurn us, for your name's sake; do not dishonor your glorious throne; remember and do not break your covenant with us." You can't do this God; it isn't you! By punishing us the only thing you do is make our neighbors question your grace, your mercy, your sovereignty. They admit screwing up, are ready for reconciliation, and expect - in fact, know - that God will respond with grace. I'm not sure I know God well enough to make the claims they do. I trust him and his decisions, and am probably too scared to call him to the carpet when I don't think his response is congruent with his promises. What does that say about me I wonder? I can't be the only one. Would it preach to call my congregation to do what I don't do; to remind God of his promises like the people of Israel? Or should I wait until I get it straight to present such a topic?

Lots to think about in the OT lesson this week. Maybe it'll get me back into shape to tackle it next time I preach.

No comments: