October 17, 2007

Risky Business

I was three when the Tom Cruise "classic" came out, so it is safe to assume I'm not talking about the tale of " A Chicago teenager [who] is looking for fun at home while his parents are away, but the situation quickly gets out of hand" (more info on the film here).

What I'm referring to is the overwhelming theme in the BCP lessons for Sunday that this prayer stuff is risky business. In the course of my life I've been taught a variety of "prayer techniques." From the earliest age I can remember being taught to pray the Lord's Prayer; which if we really listen to what we are asking is a radically life changing proposition, but as a 5 year-old kid it just meant that I prayed what Jesus prayed (and maybe it still means that). Then, in High School somebody taught me the ACTS way of praying; Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. I'm still not sure what the difference between adoration and thanksgiving is, but having confession in there is really really helpful some days (and a supreme downer on others). Still it was like writing an Email to God --
God -
You rock!
I'm a sinner.
Thanks for the rain.
Please heal Joey.
Amen.

During my freshman year of college I got good at the yelling at God form of prayer.
As time went on I came to learn that sitting silently could be a form of prayer. This was the first time that I found prayer to be dangerous. Of course I was aware of the "be careful what you wish for (er. pray for)" dangers, but for the first time as I listened for God to respond; actually giving God a chance to type an Email back, that I realized prayer can really screw things up. Sitting silently with God lead to me transferring schools, changing majors, finding my wife, and being called to ordained ministry; all great blessings now, but at the time, boy were they scary.

And now, with this weeks lessons there are more examples of the dangers of prayer.

You might end up wrestling with God all night only to have him pop your hip at daybreak.

You might end up rebuking false teachers with a divinely inspired Word.

You might end up humiliated like a 1st century widow; no family, no friends; no status what-so-ever crying out to the only one with the power and authority to make a difference.

Be it the all-too-well-known words of the Lord's Prayer or the silence of waiting or the crying out for justice of the lowliest prayer can change things; and when we allow it the freedom to do so, prayer is a risky business.

2 comments:

cj said...

Like you last week, I am struggling with this week's readings. On the surface there sit several sermons, but I don't want a sermon that sits on the surface. I want to take these passages, reconnect them to the larger message of Luke, the Gospel, and the whole Bible and sing out about our relationship with God.
The plight of the widow seems to be exactly where we are here and now. We have not seen the days of the Son of Man - everything that we have, everything that we hope for is based on faith - praying for the assurance of things hoped for; the conviction of things not seen.
Sometimes we are the widow - doggedly pursuing God, justice, peace, faith - sometimes God is the widow - faithfully dogging us in an attempt to get and keep us in relationship with him.
The widow has lost everything. Jacob has sent all that he owns, all those that he loves across the river. He is alone, as presumably the widow is alone - neither know what their future holds. That is when Jacob wrestles with God; when the widow finds the strength to keep hounding the judge. Are we closest to God when we are at the end of our rope? Life right now in 21st century America can be enticing, can lull us into complacency. Is that when faith is hardest to find? Is that when we fail to look for it?
God invites us to wrestle, to pray, to talk AND to listen - in other words, God invites us to stay in relationship with him.
Is this faith? Does this lead us to faith?

spankey said...

Thanks CJ,

I had forgotten the other side of the coin; God as widow; thanks for turning the crystal for me.

As far as your line of questions that end your comment; Peterson translates Matthew 5.3 (a beatitude) as "3"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule."

We need to chat one of these days. We miss you!