October 2, 2007

a very lutheran sunday

Our Lectionary group met this morning, and, to my surprise, it was the Lutheran's in our midst who were having trouble finding meat in the gospel passage (Luke 17.5-10 which we expanded to 17.1-10). As I previewed the lessons yesterday I thought to myself, "this has to be the ideal Lutheran passage."

After weeks and weeks and weeks of Jesus telling us to DO stuff, we finally have a set of verses that are "by grace alone." The seed of faith that is planted in me isn't even big enough to tell the Mulberry tree to move, but it is sufficient. The work I do for the gospel is "only what I am supposed to do anyway," but God looks with favor upon me anyway. It is only by grace that there is good news in this weeks gospel lesson; which is why I was so surprised that the Lutheran's were having trouble finding something to preach on this week.

Ultimately where we landed this week was a very pomo place; that Christianity is not propositional in nature, but is relational and experiential in nature. We can explain faith to people, but like the mustard seed story, it isn't going to make any sense, but if we help them to experience faith, to know the joy of Jesus Christ, if we help them get out of their own way, then we have moved a Mulberry tree; and given life where life should not be.

I'm realizing how hard it is to articulate where we were this morning, but I hope this is somewhat clear. Anyway, where I am is rejoicing that God loves me even though my faith is even smaller than a mustard seed.

No comments: